Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Moving!

I love moving!

Sounds a bit weird, I know, but I do it so often that it's not a bother - just something to force to get rid of a bunch of stuff. Actually, it's pretty much the only thing that will get me to go through all my crap, period. It's my spring cleaning. Or something like that.

I just moved into a new place today, and this move was more exciting than usual. Why, you ask? Well, this time, I had movers.

In my former starving student/starving musician days, I've moved everything myself, usually limiting my allowable amount of "stuff" to what can be fit in a minivan. At first this was because that was the vehicle my parents had, but later I decided it was a good amount of not-too-much stuff. (Okay, so I strapped the bed to the top.) I didn't even know it was possible to hire people to move things for you!

But it is, and now that I have a job that pays for things like that, people were hired to move things for me.

AND IT WAS SO EXCITING!!!

There were so many boxes, with random labels like "clothes, shoes" "kitchen" "knick-knacks, instruments" "garage" "baskets" that I usually had no idea what I was unpacking. To make it even more of a surprise, the movers used so much paper to wrap every single thing I owned that there was no way to tell what anything was. I would begin to unwrap what I thought was a mug, to find...paper!...and more paper!...and...a tealight!

It was like Christmas! I didn't care what anything was, but I had so much fun unwrapping it all! And there was so much to unwrap.

"Wow this thing is heavy, and huge! I didn't think I owned a mace...hold on...it's...my lamp! Awesome, I LOVE that lamp!"

"Hey look, candles! No wait, it's...chapstick! YAY!"

Shut up. I had fun.

And you should have SEEN the pile of paper I had going! It was like in the fall when you rake leaves and then jump in them! Except it was paper, and I didn't jump in it. I wanted to though. The pile came up to my waist - out of a box as high as my knees. These guys work some serious magic, I swear. I couldn't even fit the paper back in the box without the dishes and mugs the paper was wrapping.

Or maybe it was a box of holding and I should not have cut it down for recycling....

Crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment